Preparing for Car Shipping
If you need to move a vehicle you will need to organize a transporter to complete the move for you. Canada car shipping varies in the level of service so it’s worth examining the different methods before you decide which to use.
If your vehicle is being collected from another party then you need to confirm any transport preparations with them before the pick-up.
If the vehicle is being picked up from you, then there are some preparations to be made prior to the collection date.
- Documentation: Keep any documentation safe for reference, especially if the vehicle is being sold or bought.
- Remove spare items: Remove any valuables or personal belongings from the vehicle. If you wish to transport personal effects inside the car, discuss this with the company prior to booking transportation
- Car wash: Giving your car a good clean will help you to inspect it for any pre-existing damage. Residual dirt can also contribute to damage during transport.
- Check it’s working: Prior to collection check everything’s working as expected including warning and brake lights, foldable roofs etc. This will let you compare the condition before and after transit
- Pictures: Take some pictures of the car in case any damage occurs during transit.
- Top it up: Ensure the vehicle has at least half a tank of fuel and that the tires are at the correct pressure. Your car will need to run and have working brakes to be loaded onto a car carrier. If the car does not run you must inform your company so they can make arrangements for loading.
When you know the date and destination for your move, you’ll need to know about potential services you can use to transport your vehicle.
- Single trailer: If your car is a non-starter, you’re only having parts collected, or you the move is short haul then individual car transport is a good option. Your vehicle is loaded onto a flatbed or other small trailer and is towed to its destination. This can be more expensive but there are numerous options, and delivery is typically very fast. This method is best suited to short-haul moves.
- Multi-car transporter: These are the most common method of transport for cars. A car carrier can hold up to 10 cars, meaning the cost is shared, and you receive a much better rate. Quotes for car carriers are typically terminal to terminal, as they cannot fit in residential roads due to the size. Some companies may offer door to door service for an additional fee.
- Enclosed transport: This is the safest method of transport. The vehicle is stored in covered trailer, meaning it is protected from rocks and weather. However, these can only carry 1 or 2 vehicles and can entail greater costs.
When you’ve worked out what type of company you wish to use, it is time to compare them. Researching and getting quotes from a number of firms can allow you to get the best price, but can also be time-consuming. Searching online makes this a great deal easier.
This is where we can help out. Shiply allows you to find an auto transport company that fills your requirements.
By listing your vehicle move requirements with us you’ll be able to receive quotes from a number of different car collection firms, which you can compare based on their cost, credentials, and feedback from other users. Just accept one of the quotes and the company will complete the job for you.
Collection and Delivery
When the car has been moved to its new destination someone will need to be there to sign off with the driver and check over the car to check for any potential changes when compared to the pre-transit inventory.
Once you’re happy with the condition of your vehicle, we encourage you to review the vehicle transport company on Shiply. This helps them improve their service and it also assists other users when comparing different quotes.
Millions of people use Shiply
Fast and Easy
Complete one simple form and quotes come to you via email. Hassle-free, no phone calls required.
All delivery companies on Shiply are feedback rated for your peace of mind.
As Shiply's delivery companies are already making similar trips, quotes are up to 75% cheaper than standard rates.
Need assistance? Email or call us. We are here to help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Shiply Cover My Area?
Yes! There are couriers using Shiply all over the country and abroad, so whether you need to move a sofa across town or send a car across Europe, we have got you covered.
Does Shiply Have Different Sized Vehicles?
There are thousands of couriers on Shiply, with a wide range of vehicle sizes capable of handling any delivery. Providing the rough dimensions (and pictures if possible) on your listing will allow the delivery company to get the right vehicle sent out to you.
How Can I Contact Shiply?
You can also send an email to our support team: .
Who Will Carry Out My Delivery?
Whoever you choose! There are thousands of rated transport providers on our platform ready to make a bid to carry out your delivery. It is up to you to decide which quote to accept.
When Will I Receive A Quote?
You will typically start to receive quotes within 30 minutes. If you are worried about the lack of quotes, try adding some more detail to your listing as transport providers may be unsure of dimensions or weight and feel unable to provide an accurate quote. If your delivery is urgent, you can try our 'featured delivery' feature which moves your listing to the top of the search page for couriers.
How Many Quotes Will I Receive?
Whilst there is no guarantee of quotes, 98% of our listings receive at least 3 quotes, so you are likely to find someone who can undertake the delivery of your items.
Does Shiply Provide Packing Materials?
If your item requires packing materials or extra care then you should make sure this is highlighted in your listing and discussed with any transport provider whose quote you are considering. Couriers on Shiply are able to provide all levels of service and can help pack your items, just ensure you inform them of your needs.
Will My Goods Be Tied Up Securely?
Transport providers will almost always tie up an item in the transport vehicle, as the risk of damage from moving around during transit is high. You should always confirm safety precautions and packing needs with transport providers before accepting a quote.
Can Items Be Taken Upstairs?
Yes, items can be taken upstairs if needed, and can also be assembled. Transport providers on Shiply are happy to provide these services, but you should ensure that you are mentioning these requirements in your listings as it may mean a second person is required for the move.
Can I Travel With My Goods?
The majority of transport providers on Shiply are only insured for the transportation of goods, however, some are also able to take people. If you need to travel with your goods, make sure to mention this in your listing and to highlight this to any courier who quotes on your listing.
What If I Need To Cancel My Booking?
If you have accepted a quote and paid the deposit but wish to cancel the delivery, then you should first inform your chosen transport provider that you no longer require the delivery. You should then contact us at to have your deposit refunded.
Can I Change The Address Of The Delivery?
If you have not yet accepted a quote then you are able to change the address of your listing. Note that editing details of your listing after publishing will result in active quotes being voided, so you will have to wait for new quotes to come in. If you have already accepted a quote and need to change the address, please let your transport provider know and contact us at .
Does Someone Have To Be Present For Pickup And Delivery?
In most cases, the car delivery company will require you to be in attendance for the pickup and delivery of the vehicle. This is because there are likely to be release forms that you need to sign, as well as handing over the keys for the car.
Can I Keep Items In My Vehicle?
Most car delivery companies will be fine with you keeping some personal items in the vehicle when it is transported. However, there are two important things to remember: 1. The weight of the items may affect the price of the vehicle delivery, and 2. Any items in the vehicle will not be covered by insurance for the transport of the car itself.
Can I Transport My Vehicle If It Isn't Running?
You can transport your vehicle if it isn’t in running condition, however, this will be more expensive as specialist equipment is required to load and unload the vehicle.
How Shiply Works
How Shiply Works
Request quotes from our 413,218 rated transport providers.
Compare prices and read previous customer feedback to pick the right delivery quote for you.
Sit back and relax while your item is safely delivered by your chosen transport provider.
Brampton, ON L6P 2N9
Sioux Lookout, ON P8T 1H5
Brampton, Ontario L6X 2M6
Edmonton, AB T6K 0C5
Burlington, ON L7L 5R3
Tsawwassen, BC V4M 4G3
Regina, SK S4N 2T7
Stoney Creek, ON L8E 0B5
How Shiply Helps The Environment
By utilising spare capacity of vehicles running on the road, Shiply helps reduce the number of otherwise wasteful journeys needed to transport the item.
"Communication was great from the time I accepted the quote until the car was dropped off. In terms of the timeline, I was given a potential range for both how soon the car would be picked up and how many days it would be in transport."
"Everything was perfect! Fast, easy and hassle-free process! I definitely recommend and would use them again in the future. Thank you so much!"
"Great experience using these guys. This was my first time having to transport a car using a service like this and I could not be happier. Picked up earlier than expected and delivery was early as well. Quick easy and problem free."
"I’ve used Shiply twice now and have been really pleased with the result. It’s quick and easy to use. For both occasions the quotes were very competitive and the quality of the job was excellent. I highly recommend it."