Preparing for Car Shipping
If you need to move a vehicle you will need to organize a transporter to complete the move for you. Canada car shipping varies in the level of service so it’s worth examining the different methods before you decide which to use.
If your vehicle is being collected from another party then you need to confirm any transport preparations with them before the pick-up.
If the vehicle is being picked up from you, then there are some preparations to be made prior to the collection date.
- Documentation: Keep any documentation safe for reference, especially if the vehicle is being sold or bought.
- Remove spare items: Remove any valuables or personal belongings from the vehicle. If you wish to transport personal effects inside the car, discuss this with the company prior to booking transportation
- Car wash: Giving your car a good clean will help you to inspect it for any pre-existing damage. Residual dirt can also contribute to damage during transport.
- Check it’s working: Prior to collection check everything’s working as expected including warning and brake lights, foldable roofs etc. This will let you compare the condition before and after transit
- Pictures: Take some pictures of the car in case any damage occurs during transit.
- Top it up: Ensure the vehicle has at least half a tank of fuel and that the tires are at the correct pressure. Your car will need to run and have working brakes to be loaded onto a car carrier. If the car does not run you must inform your company so they can make arrangements for loading.
When you know the date and destination for your move, you’ll need to know about potential services you can use to transport your vehicle.
- Single trailer: If your car is a non-starter, you’re only having parts collected, or you the move is short haul then individual car transport is a good option. Your vehicle is loaded onto a flatbed or other small trailer and is towed to its destination. This can be more expensive but there are numerous options, and delivery is typically very fast. This method is best suited to short-haul moves.
- Multi-car transporter: These are the most common method of transport for cars. A car carrier can hold up to 10 cars, meaning the cost is shared, and you receive a much better rate. Quotes for car carriers are typically terminal to terminal, as they cannot fit in residential roads due to the size. Some companies may offer door to door service for an additional fee.
- Enclosed transport: This is the safest method of transport. The vehicle is stored in covered trailer, meaning it is protected from rocks and weather. However, these can only carry 1 or 2 vehicles and can entail greater costs.
When you’ve worked out what type of company you wish to use, it is time to compare them. Researching and getting quotes from a number of firms can allow you to get the best price, but can also be time-consuming. Searching online makes this a great deal easier.
This is where we can help out. Shiply allows you to find an auto transport company that fills your requirements.
By listing your vehicle move requirements with us you’ll be able to receive quotes from a number of different car collection firms, which you can compare based on their cost, credentials, and feedback from other users. Just accept one of the quotes and the company will complete the job for you.
Collection and Delivery
When the car has been moved to its new destination someone will need to be there to sign off with the driver and check over the car to check for any potential changes when compared to the pre-transit inventory.
Once you’re happy with the condition of your vehicle, we encourage you to review the vehicle transport company on Shiply. This helps them improve their service and it also assists other users when comparing different quotes.
Millions of people use Shiply
Fast and Easy
Complete one simple form and quotes come to you via email. Hassle-free, no phone calls required.
All delivery companies on Shiply are feedback rated for your peace of mind.
As Shiply's delivery companies are already making similar trips, quotes are up to 75% cheaper than standard rates.
Need assistance? Email or call us. We are here to help.
How Shiply Works
How Shiply Works
Request quotes from our 180,536 rated transport providers.
Compare prices and read previous customer feedback to pick the right delivery quote for you.
Sit back and relax while your item is safely delivered by your chosen transport provider.
Brampton, ON L6P 2N9
Sioux Lookout, ON P8T 1H5
Brampton, Ontario L6X 2M6
Edmonton, AB T6K 0C5
Burlington, ON L7L 5R3
Tsawwassen, BC V4M 4G3
Regina, SK S4N 2T7
Stoney Creek, ON L8E 0B5
How Shiply Helps The Environment
By utilising spare capacity of vehicles running on the road, Shiply helps reduce the number of otherwise wasteful journeys needed to transport the item.