1. Obtain Motorcycle Transport Quotes
When you need to move a motorbike, your starting point will be to shop around for quotes to ensure you are getting a fair price. Shiply reduces the hassle and hard work for you when you are wondering how much does a motorcycle delivery cost? You simply need to fill in our intuitive motorbike transport request form and prices will be emailed to you within a few minutes.
Motorcycle delivery costs are fairly standardised. You can typically expect a cost per mile of £0.55 on Shiply. Though of course this can vary slightly if the trip is particularly short or long. Motorcycle transport services in the UK for example is cheaper than shipping your motorbike overseas to Europe or further.
Prices on Shiply are low because once you post your motorbike delivery request up on the site, thousands of rated motorbike transportation companies compete against each other for the job. It is like reverse auction, so you can be sure you are getting the lowest possible price in the market.
Whether you require bike transport for a short movement across the UK, further into Europe or indeed international motorcycle shipping, Shiply can assist.
2. Assess Motorcycle Transport Rates Received
There are four main methods by which your motorcycle transport service can be carried out.
The first is to have your bike transported on an open trailer. Unlike car transporters, motorbikes can be delivered by any vehicle capable of towing the right trailer. This opens your options up quite a lot when it comes to choosing a bike transport firm and helps keep costs low.
There may be many different types of trailer services, so be sure to check that the delivery firm is using a specialised motorbike trailer for the safest delivery.
One major disadvantage to transport via an open trailer is obviously the exposure; your bike will be subjected to the elements during its transport.
The second method for motorcycle delivery is covered trailers. These are less common than the standard open versions but using larger vehicles like vans and lorries for motorcycle transportation is common. Most man and van companies can adapt to transport motorcycles with the right hardware to keep the bike secure in the cargo area of the van.
Specialist lorries can also transport motorbike in large volumes but aren’t very popular for individual private jobs. Enclosed transport options are perhaps the safest and most secure option but might set you back a bit more than an open transport.
Thirdly, if you can’t ride your motorbike to its destination there is the option to have someone ride it for you. Much like a driven car service this is quite a bespoke option and less popular than the other methods mentioned above.
There is a higher chance of wear and tear on the bike and of course there is the added mileage. This could be an option if you need it moved urgently but is likely to be much more expensive than other services.
Your choice of motorcycle transport method will likely depend on your budget and how urgently you need the bike moved.
Once you have received a few bike delivery quotes on Shiply, you can compare them based on price, transport method and the transport providers feedback score. Once you are happy with a quote, simply accept and your chosen company will get in touch with you to arrange the final details.
3. Prepare Your Motorbike for Transport
Before your motorcycle collection/pickup takes place, we recommend you prepare for the transport. If you follow these steps, you can significantly reduce the risk of issues.
- Cleaning: This isn’t so it looks nice on the back of a trailer. Cleaning your motorcycle will help you notice any damage or scratches that might have been previously hidden. What’s more, any dust or dirt on the bike can contribute to scratching paintwork during handling and moving.
- Note damage: Noting any nicks or scrapes on your bike and documenting them with photographs will let you see if your bike has been damaged during transportation once it reaches its destination.
- Fluids: Depending on the policy of the motorbike transport company you may or may not have to drain oil and petrol from your bike. This helps avoid any potential leakages and is best from a safety perspective. If the bike is to be ridden at all during its transit, then you will of course need to keep some fuel in the tank.
- Tyres: Make sure tyres are properly inflated to help prevent damage to rims. This also makes the bike easier to move.
- Extras: Before the bike move, make sure there are no loose panels, or any accessories left on the bike that could easily come off during transit.
If you’re transporting your bike with its keys it can be worth tying them to the bike itself. If the transporter is going to ride your motorcycle on public roads at some point make sure it’s in working order, taxed and valid MOT.
Your chosen motorcycle delivery firm will give you a courtesy call when they are near the collection and delivery points so that you can help ensure you are in. Many transport firms on Shiply have completed thousands of motorbikes in their careers and so are very experienced. So, don't be afraid to ask them any questions if you have any queries or concerns.
4. Check Motorbike Condition & Leave Customer Feedback
Once your motorcycle transport is complete and it arrives at its destination, make sure you or the bike’s new owner performs a thorough check to be sure the vehicle has not been damaged at all in transit. Any issues should be taken up with the transporter and insurance companies immediately.
When you picked your motorcycle transport provider on Shiply, no doubt you will have read the customer feedback and relied on their feedback score percentage when making your decision. So, please help others in the future do the same, by leaving feedback once your delivery is complete.
Fast and Easy
Complete one simple form and quotes come to you via email. Hassle-free, no phone calls required.
All delivery companies on Shiply are feedback rated for your peace of mind.
As Shiply's delivery companies are already making similar trips, quotes are up to 75% cheaper than standard rates.
Need assistance? Email or call us. We are here to help.