Moving House Cheaply
Finding a cheap removal company can be difficult. Companies offering small removals are often in high demand, and therefore they can charge a premium rate for their service. Relocating is already a huge headache so the more time and money you can save when moving the better. Planning and preparation in advance can help you save money, as can being flexible with your moving dates. Fitting in around moving companies’ schedules can help you save a bundle.
When you’re planning a move, it helps to compile a checklist to help you keep track of the multiple tasks to do. We’ve given you some of the most important below.
When you’re moving:
1. Let others know: Let your close friends and relatives know where they can find you. Make sure you give notice to authorities like Revenue and Customs and the Local Council. Notify energy suppliers, swap your TV licence and change any other subscriptions services – like internet and health clubs. You can also apply for re-direction of post, though there is a fee.
2. Clean out: Have a boot sale, donate to charity or get online to sell your clutter. You don’t want anything weighing you down. The less you move the better removal quote you will get.
3. Contact a moving company: When you’ve sorted out the initial tasks of tidying and informing the proper parties of your move, you need to arrange a moving company. Moving companies provide varying levels of service when it comes to helping you pack and load, (see the next tab for more on finding moving services).
4. Boxing up: There are a couple of ways to save on packaging, doing it yourself can save you the cost of getting the removal firm to do it.
- Find boxes: Use old boxes when possible, you can also sometimes find some going free at your local supermarket.
- Least used first: The things you don’t need should go away first, these can be packed well in advance and stored or moved elsewhere.
- Be logical: Keeping the dinner plates with the bedside lamp won’t help you from an unpacking perspective, so try keep things together as much as possible.
- Safety first: Make sure you provide padding for breakable goods. This might be one area where you pack things in strange ways – you can use pillows and bath towels to good effect to keep antiques safe.Mark boxes as fragile! So the moving company know to take extra care.
- Keep an emergency kit: You’ll need some things to survive the last day before the move, so hygiene essentials and some food are useful. Takeaway menus can be useful too!
5. Scrub up: Doing the cleaning yourself is going to save you a bundle, so get scrubbing, don’t forget things like the oven, shower and toilets. You don’t want to leave a mess for the new owners.
6. Just before moving: Some things are best left late, draining out the refrigerator for example. Confirm with your providers that your services are being redirected or disconnected. Keep your emergency bag to hand and ensure you’ve got all your important paperwork for moving day.
Types of removal services
Hiring a van yourself can be the cheapest way to move, especially if your move is considered small removals. However, your home contents insurance may not cover any damages.
Finding the cheapest service is a trade-off between the level of service you want and the price you are willing to pay. Here’s a rundown of what you can expect from different levels of removals services.
Comprehensive: A full removals service will assist in all aspects of relocation, they’ll be on hand to help you pack and unpack as well as loading up their van themselves. This type of service comes at a premium, so if you’re looking for an inexpensive option it may not be for you.
Partial service: These types of removal companies can be much cheaper as you only pay for the loading and transportation of your goods. All the packing and unpacking fun is down to you. Using this type of service can allow you to move in a flexible timeframe because you’re using less of the company’s hours.
DIY: The really cheap removals option, this option either has you driving a rented lorry/van or just hiring a driver. This is much less expensive than hiring a specialist removal firm but means the most work for you.
When considering any removal company you need to decide when cheap isn’t good value! If you want a cheap reputable removals service look for accreditation. The British Association of Removers and National Guild of Removers and Storers are two organisations that maintain high standards of service for moving companies.
Even though moving services are busy, if you can catch them at an off-peak time then you’ll likely save yourself a lot. Busy days tend to be Fridays and bank holidays, so being flexible with your dates can help you find a better quote.
How do I use Shiply to find a removal company?
One of the best ways to find the cheapest removals quote is to find one who is making a return journey empty. Finding a small removal company with a spare time slot by phoning around for a quote can be a bother.
This is where Shiply comes in. By uploading the details and date of your relocation to our site, the quotes will come to you! Including an inventory of what you are moving can help you to know what kind of removal service you require and also help you get the best quotes from removal firms.
UK removal companies that are available to help with your move will quote competitively to win your removals job. This way you can compare companies and find the cheapest quote.
Once you’ve got the best quote you just have to agree the specifics with the removal company and you can get your house move underway.
When you get to your new place take a tour round to make some important checks before you start moving things into their new place:
- Check if the last tenants left you a guide to the new house – this might include local amenities or details on nuances of the house.
- Make sure you check that nothing’s been broken since you last visited.
- Say hello to your new neighbours, depending how late in the day it is it might be the best time to introduce yourself to the area.
When your move has completed and you’re happy, please leave a feedback score for the removal company you used on Shiply. Using feedback helps our users find the most reliable transporters and also helps the moving companies know how to improve in the future.
Millions of people use Shiply
Fast and Easy
Complete one simple form and quotes come to you via email. Hassle-free, no phone calls required.
All delivery companies on Shiply are feedback rated for your peace of mind.
As Shiply's delivery companies are already making similar trips, quotes are up to 75% cheaper than standard rates.
Need assistance? Email or call us. We are here to help.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Shiply Cover My Area?
Yes! There are couriers using Shiply all over the country and abroad, so whether you need to move a sofa across town or send a car across Europe, we have got you covered.
Does Shiply Have Different Sized Vehicles?
There are thousands of couriers on Shiply, with a wide range of vehicle sizes capable of handling any delivery. Providing the rough dimensions (and pictures if possible) on your listing will allow the delivery company to get the right vehicle sent out to you.
Can I Call Shiply?
Shiply Support is available from 9am - 6pm Monday to Friday on 020 3137 2454. You can also send an email to .
Who Will Carry Out My Delivery?
Whoever you choose! There are thousands of rated transport providers on our platform ready to make a bid to carry out your delivery. It is up to you to decide which quote to accept.
When Will I Receive A Quote?
You will typically start to receive quotes within 30 minutes. If you are worried about the lack of quotes, try adding some more detail to your listing as transport providers may be unsure of dimensions or weight and feel unable to provide an accurate quote. If your delivery is urgent, you can try our 'featured delivery' feature which moves your listing to the top of the search page for couriers.
How Many Quotes Will I Receive?
Whilst there is no guarantee of quotes, 98% of our listings receive at least 3 quotes, so you are likely to find someone who can undertake the delivery of your items.
Does Shiply Provide Packing Materials?
If your item requires packing materials or extra care then you should make sure this is highlighted in your listing and discussed with any transport provider whose quote you are considering. Couriers on Shiply are able to provide all levels of service and can help pack your items, just ensure you inform them of your needs.
Will My Goods Be Tied Up Securely?
Transport providers will almost always tie up an item in the transport vehicle, as the risk of damage from moving around during transit is high. You should always confirm safety precautions and packing needs with transport providers before accepting a quote.
Can Items Be Taken Upstairs?
Yes, items can be taken upstairs if needed, and can also be assembled. Transport providers on Shiply are happy to provide these services, but you should ensure that you are mentioning these requirements in your listings as it may mean a second person is required for the move.
Can I Travel With My Goods?
The majority of transport providers on Shiply are only insured for the transportation of goods, however, some are also able to take people. If you need to travel with your goods, make sure to mention this in your listing and highlight this to any courier who quotes on your listing.
What If I Need To Cancel My Booking?
If you have accepted a quote and paid the deposit but wish to cancel the delivery, then you should first inform your chosen transport provider that you no longer require the delivery. You should then contact us at to have your deposit refunded.
Can I Change The Address Of The Delivery?
If you have not yet accepted a quote then you are able to change the address of your listing. Note that editing details of your listing after publishing will result in active quotes being voided, so you will have to wait for new quotes to come in. If you have already accepted a quote and need to change the address, please let your transport provider know and contact us at .
How Shiply Works
How Shiply Works
Request quotes from our 422,731 rated transport providers.
Compare prices and read previous customer feedback to pick the right delivery quote for you.
Sit back and relax while your item is safely delivered by your chosen transport provider.
London, Greater London,
London, Greater London,
London, Greater London,
London, Greater London,
How Shiply Helps The Environment
By utilising spare capacity of vehicles running on the road, Shiply helps reduce the number of otherwise wasteful journeys needed to transport the item.
"Simple and effective, will be using regularly. Good value and makes the process of moving big things around so much easier!"
"In a matter of hours, I received an offer that matched my budget from a company with very good feedback. I love being able to rely on Shiply for getting the precious finds from eBay across the country for a reasonable price."
"Shiply fills the gaps between getting bulky items collected and delivered and you having to go get them yourself. Used them many times, saves me lots of time and money."
"All went very smoothly and easily and the courier whose bid I accepted were lovely, good communication, and helpful. Couldn't fault at all and would certainly use again."