Moving house is notorious as one of the most stressful experiences you can go through; before you can start your new life in your new home there’s a lot to do. Preparation in advance is the key to having a successful house move.
To Do List
To make sure your move goes as smoothly as possible we’d recommend making a checklist of tasks you need to complete before the removals van rolls up.
1. Tell people you’re moving
Other than friends and family make sure you give notice to authorities like HMRC and the council, also notify energy companies, transfer your TV licence and cancel or re-direct subscriptions services – such as ISPs, gyms or mail order services. You can also apply for postal re-direction, though there is a fee.
2. Get rid of stuff
Moving is a great reason to sell off any hoarded items you’ve been keeping “just in case.” You don’t want to move more things than necessary so charities, eBay or car-boot sales are the order of the day.
3. Arrange a removal company
When you’ve sorted out the initial tasks of tidying and informing the proper parties of your move, you need to arrange a moving company. Moving companies provide varying levels of service when it comes to helping you pack and load, (see the next tab for more on finding moving services).
4. Packing up
Boxing up is a job in itself and you might be surprised just how much stuff you have!
- Get some packing equipment: Boxes, bubble wrap/polystyrene beads/old newspapers, tape guns and labels/marker pens (so you know what’s where!)
- Pack unused stuff first: You can start your packing early, box things up in the order of how often you use them, starting with things you rarely use.
- Pack things together: Pack rooms into boxes and keep them together; this will make things much easier when it comes to re-furbishing your new house.
-Take care: Make sure you provide adequate padding for fragile items, antiques, crockery, bottles and the like as they can be easily broken. Layer between delicate items with packaging and make sure boxes are tightly packed so items can’t move around. Also make sure these boxes are properly labelled so moving services know to be careful with them.
- Keep essentials unpacked: Keep things you will still need in the run-up to the big day, things like toilet tissue, toothpaste and some eating utensils.
5. Clean up
Clean the oven and bathroom(s), vacuum and tidy up as best you can. You can either keep some cleaning supplies unpacked to use until the last minute or leave them behind for the new residents (things like bleach, furniture polish and air freshener).
6. Last Minute Jobs
Some things you can’t help but leave until the last minute, like drying out fridges and freezers. Make last minute checks with your service providers to make sure things are going to be disconnected or re-directed, turn off wall plugs etc. Make sure you’ve got your essentials for your moving day ready as well as important documents, check your to-do list and wait for the moving van.