Finding a cheap removal company can be difficult. Companies offering small removals are often in high demand, and therefore they can charge a premium rate for their service. Relocating is already a huge headache so the more time and money you can save when moving the better. Planning and preparation in advance can help you save money, as can being flexible with your moving dates. Fitting in around moving companies’ schedules can help you save a bundle.
When you’re planning a move, it helps to compile a checklist to help you keep track of the multiple tasks to do. We’ve given you some of the most important below.
When you’re moving:
1. Let others know: Let your close friends and relatives know where they can find you. Make sure you give notice to authorities like Revenue and Customs and the Local Council. Notify energy suppliers, swap your TV licence and change any other subscriptions services – like internet and health clubs. You can also apply for re-direction of post, though there is a fee.
2. Clean out: Have a boot sale, donate to charity or get online to sell your clutter. You don’t want anything weighing you down. The less you move the better removal quote you will get.
3. Contact a moving company: When you’ve sorted out the initial tasks of tidying and informing the proper parties of your move, you need to arrange a moving company. Moving companies provide varying levels of service when it comes to helping you pack and load, (see the next tab for more on finding moving services).
4. Boxing up: There are a couple of ways to save on packaging, doing it yourself can save you the cost of getting the removal firm to do it.
- Find boxes: Use old boxes when possible, you can also sometimes find some going free at your local supermarket.
- Least used first: The things you don’t need should go away first, these can be packed well in advance and stored or moved elsewhere.
- Be logical: Keeping the dinner plates with the bedside lamp won’t help you from an unpacking perspective, so try keep things together as much as possible.
- Safety first: Make sure you provide padding for breakable goods. This might be one area where you pack things in strange ways – you can use pillows and bath towels to good effect to keep antiques safe.Mark boxes as fragile! So the moving company know to take extra care.
- Keep an emergency kit: You’ll need some things to survive the last day before the move, so hygiene essentials and some food are useful. Takeaway menus can be useful too!
5. Scrub up: Doing the cleaning yourself is going to save you a bundle, so get scrubbing, don’t forget things like the oven, shower and toilets. You don’t want to leave a mess for the new owners.
6. Just before moving: Some things are best left late, draining out the refrigerator for example. Confirm with your providers that your services are being redirected or disconnected. Keep your emergency bag to hand and ensure you’ve got all your important paperwork for moving day.