Moving house is a time-consuming process that requires a lot of prepping and planning, and for some of us getting organised doesn’t come naturally! It can also be an expensive task that leaves your finances drained. Worry no more as we have put together the ultimate go to checklist for your house move. It is easy to follow and broken down into 3 stages.
Before Your Moving Day
– Lists, lists, lists! Who doesn’t love making lists? This is a good place to start. In the run up to your moving day, create a checklist of everything you need to do in the run up to your moving day and tick them off as you go.
– Give people plenty of notice that you are moving home. Inform all the relevant people of your change of address such as utility providers, friends, family etc.
– You will also need to redirect your mail which you can do this by visiting the Royal Mail website.
– Give yourself plenty of time to arrange a professional removal service. Compare free quotes on Shiply and book a removal firm at least 2 -3 weeks in advance.
– Before you start to pack, have a massive clear out! This is the perfect time to get rid of any unwanted or unused junk you may have lying around the house. You can sell them online on websites like eBay or donate them to local charity shops.
– Source strong packing materials. You will need bubble wrap, sturdy boxes and tape to keep your items safe in transit. You can buy packing boxes in bulk from websites like eBay.
– Don’t forget to defrost your fridge and freezer at least 2 days before you move. Also, remember to buy fewer groceries the week before you are moving. You won’t be able to transport most of this stuff and it will only be a massive build-up of waste.
– When it comes to packing electrics, take pictures of your devices, such as the back of your television, so you can easily remember what cord goes where when it comes to putting it back together.
– Label everything for easier unpacking.
– As you pack each room away clean as you go. So, when the day of the big move comes you won’t have much left to clean.
On Your Moving Day
– Pack an essentials bag or box for the day of your move and fill it with items like snacks, a change of clothes, towel, pyjamas and any toiletries you will need for your first night in your new home.
– Keep the kettle and tea bags somewhere they can be easily located as moving house is thirsty work.
– Be present when the movers arrive to load and unload your belongings. This will allow you to supervise where everything goes which will speed up the process of unpacking.
– After the movers, have loaded all your belongings into their van, make sure you check every room before locking up. Don’t leave anything behind!
– The same goes when the removal company has unloaded your items. Ensure the van has been completely unloaded and nothing is left behind.
After You Have Moved In
– Moving house can be the perfect time to look for new deals on your bills such as electricity and the internet etc.
– After the movers have left, do a quick clean of the new place before you start settling in.
– Don’t forget to leave your moving company feedback on the service they provided.
– Unpack your everyday items first.
– Have fun with decorating and organising and make it your own!
Preparation is key! The earlier you start preparing, the smoother the whole process will be.